Morning Rituals: Matcha Latte
This morning we finally got a break from the rather hot mornings that have been greeting us this past week. During our morning walk, we were pleasantly surprised by the chill to the air. A few posts back we talked about how we were incorporating turmeric latte's into our daily routines, but this morning we wanted to mix it up. I have an excellent breakfast recipe which utilizes matcha (which I will post about soon!), but I was short for time and really wanted a latte to help lean into Sunday's flow.
Matcha is traditionally a ritual powder, brought to Japan by Chinese Zen Buddhists in 1911. The plants are grown for roughly three weeks in the shade to prevent direct contact with the sun--a process which increases the chlorophyll content as well as the concentration of amino acids such as theanine. After drying, the plants are finely ground into a talc-like powder, and the emerald green color comes alive.
Brimming with antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, shade grown matcha is more potent than regular green tea. The benefits of matcha include its ability to boost cognitive function (i.e. boost memory and improve concentration), aid in stress-relief, menstrual pain, and sleep maintenance. It is also a rich source of vitamin C, zinc, magnesium, and chromium. The antioxidant concentration is intense: one serving offers up five times as many antioxidants than any other food. This means that anything from our brain function to skin integrity to disease prevention is blissfully coated with a powerful stream of antioxidants. Some studies have shown that matcha has the ability to lower blood pressure and cholesterol as well!
Read below how to make a delicious matcha latte to start your morning off right.
- 1.5 teaspoons of organic matcha powder
- 10 oz. of almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger (optional)
- Splashes of coconut cream (optional)
- Heat almond milk on the stove on low heat, stirring frequently until it simmers but does not boil.
- Add the matcha powder, coconut oil, and fresh ginger to a powerful blender. Once the almond milk has been heated, add this as well.
- Blend all of the ingredients together on the highest setting until incorporated, smooth and frothy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Serve in teacups, and add a splash of coconut milk or cream as desired.
Check back for our delicious breakfast recipe which incorporates matcha, coming soon!
- Apr 18, 2019 Spring Nutrition: What your body wants to eat this season Apr 18, 2019
- Apr 2, 2018 Our Sacred Earth: The Unique Responsibility of Women to Care for Mother Nature Apr 2, 2018
- Mar 19, 2018 Lactational Amenorrhea: Breastfeeding As An Effective Form of Birth Control Mar 19, 2018
- Feb 19, 2018 The Wild World of Damiana Feb 19, 2018
- Nov 28, 2017 Holiday Health Survival Guide: Tips to Prevent Burnout Nov 28, 2017
- May 19, 2017 Home Remedies: Soothing + Nourishing PMS Tea May 19, 2017
- May 18, 2017 Common Signs of Pregnancy May 18, 2017
- May 11, 2017 10 Chemicals to Avoid While Pregnant May 11, 2017
- May 9, 2017 Local, Sustainable, Wildcrafted Nasturtium Tincture May 9, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Home Remedies: Seasonal Allergies + Hay Fever May 5, 2017
- May 4, 2017 Home Remedies Series May 4, 2017
- May 4, 2017 Top 10 Fertility Boosting Foods May 4, 2017
- May 3, 2017 Sharing the Wisdom of the Earth May 3, 2017
- May 2, 2017 My Favorite Preconception Supplements May 2, 2017
- May 1, 2017 Permission to Pause May 1, 2017
- Jan 10, 2017 An Introduction To Nutrition For The Childbearing Years Jan 10, 2017
- Dec 19, 2016 The Power of Homeopathy Dec 19, 2016
- Dec 18, 2016 TRANSITIONING FROM AN EMPTY CUP TO ONE THAT OVERFLOWS Dec 18, 2016
- Dec 13, 2016 Kid's Fruit + Vegetable Cookies Dec 13, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 Birth Trauma: Holding Space Dec 12, 2016
- October 2016
- Sep 22, 2016 Motherhood Medicine's Miracle Belly Butter Sep 22, 2016
- Sep 19, 2016 Motherhood Medicine's Diaper Wipe Solution Sep 19, 2016
- Sep 17, 2016 Morning Rituals: Tumeric & Ginger Latte Sep 17, 2016
- Sep 16, 2016 Moon Magic: Harvest Moon + Lunar Eclipse Sep 16, 2016
- Sep 14, 2016 From Maiden to Mother Sep 14, 2016